Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:44:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      jason+freebsd@kanda.com
To:        alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mysql eats up only one Cpu instead of both?

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, alexus wrote:

>i compiled in kernel two processors, in dmesg both of 'em show up.. but
>when i run mysql only one processor is using.. why?

MySQL us running multi-threaded, not multi-process.  So you won't be able
to see what CPU each thread is running on using top.

I'm not sure if there are any tools to give this kind of information.

Below is an explanation of why things look different than on Linux:

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, sunny dale wrote:

> - is it multithreaded on *bsd only? i have a mysqld on a linux box
> running which spawns child processeses.

Its all to do with threading libraries, take a look at:

  http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/faq.html#K

To summarize, LinuxThreads (threading library used on Linux) creates a
seperate process for each new thread, therefore each thread is viewable
through ps & top etc.  FreeBSD creates real threads (ie. not processes)
therefore they are not visible through process viewing tools as they are
not processes ;)

Jason