Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:55:17 +0600 (NS)
From:      Ustimenko Semen <semen@iclub.nsu.ru>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8-STABLE: tx driver and HP Kayak XA....

Hi!

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Hi !
>
> At work on my HP Kayak XA Workstation (450 MHz PII) all PCI cards
> share the same interrupt, this causes slowness, only 46 KByte/sec.
> throughput, although being configured as 100 MBit full duplex on a
> Cisco Catalyst 5509 switch with IOS 4.4(1).
>
> The BIOS lets me enable PnP capable operating system and I can manually
> enable the bus master dma bit for every PCI slot.
>
> When I do both (enabling PnP OS and the DMA bit) the AHA2940 and the
> ELSA PCI Graphic cards get different interrupts (hurray) only the
> network card now doesn't get any irq :-(
>
> I read in the sources, that the tx driver doesn't have DMA support.
> Might it be the case (the only idea I got over the weekend), that I
> have to disable the busmaster DMA bit in the BIOS for the PCI slot
> where the SMC network card is installed into ?!

It use DMA a lot.
I meant that there are troubles to make card busmaster.
(I don't know much about this, but AFAIK they need to turn some bit
in EEPROM and hard reset card to enable it use busmaster. [Some
where from EPIC's pdf])
I don't know what is defaults :-(

> Is there perhaps something other wrong with the tx driver or
> is it the BIOS of the HP Kayak from which I already heard
> bad things. What do you think.

Possibly we can softly reconfigure card to use another IRQ
level... But doen't are IRQs given during PCI bus initialization.
All deal with interrupts in driver is to call pci intr
map function; all other drivers do the same.
So i think this is question to some PCI guru.

Good luck.