Date:      Wed, 10 May 2006 02:22:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Clewlow <tim1timau@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unwanted repeated firewire bus reset

Hello,

I have two firewire devieces, a pcmcia ieee1394
(firewire) card, and a digital video camera with a
firewire output plug.

I can get digital video from the camera and write it
to disk with the fwcontrol utility, and, I can play
back the dv (digital video) file with xdvplay.

When I play back the dv file, the sound and picture is
fine, which tells me that the pcmcia card is working
fine, and, the firewire driver is also working to some
extent. However, the problem is there are repeated
firewire bus resets occurring. Which interrupts the
stream of data coming in from the camera. So i get a
couple of seconds of playback, then noise, then a few
more seconds of playback.

There appears to be no apparent reason for the bus
reset, because there are only two firewire devices and
so there is no real need to constantly re-elect root
devices. Also, the data coming in from the camera is
(as far as I am aware) isochronous - which means the
camera just sends one frame of data every couple of
miliseconds, and does not do any error checking to see
if the frame arrived intact (similar to upd - send and
forget) - this is the normal way of transporting dv
data on firewire because it doesnt really matter if a
few pixels change color every now and then due to
noise.

So, given that there is no change in the device
topology - ie no firewire devices are being plugged in
or out, and, there is no error checking being done
with the dv data transport, is there any real need for
repeated bus resets, and is there any way I can
instruct the firewire driver to not bother with them
after the initial device detection reset has been
completed.

PS - here is a snippet of the ongoing bus resets - the
resets occur approximately once every 4-5 seconds -
for no apparent reason

Kind regards, Tim.

-------------------------------

fwohci0: BUS reset
fwohci0: node_id=0x8000ffc0, gen=205, non CYCLEMASTER
mode
firewire0: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 1
firewire0: bus manager 0 (me)
fwohci0: BUS reset
fwohci0: node_id=0xc000ffc0, gen=206, CYCLEMASTER mode
firewire0: 1 nodes, maxhop <= 0, cable IRM = 0 (me)
firewire0: bus manager 0 (me)
fwohci0: BUS reset
fwohci0: node_id=0x8000ffc0, gen=207, non CYCLEMASTER
mode
firewire0: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 1
firewire0: bus manager 0 (me)
fwohci0: BUS reset
fwohci0: node_id=0xc000ffc0, gen=208, CYCLEMASTER mode