Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:53:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Next Generation" kernel configuration?

On 21-Jul-2004 Max Laier wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 July 2004 03:03, Brooks Davis wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:39:31PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
[snip]
>> > A dependable tool offering a menu-driven means of configuring the
>> > kernel, ensuring proper config file syntax, dependency handling,
>> > prevention of incompatible options, etc. -- as well as online
>> > documentation, advice, suggestions and warnings, plus perhaps a
>> > nice set of default selections -- would be a very nice addition to
>> > the system.  But to bring it about, obviously a major reworking of
>> > the current system of kernel configuration files would be required.
>>
>> You can have my simple flat file kernel config when you pry it from
>> my cold, dead hands and I know a number of other develoeprs share
>> this viewpoint.  All my experiences with the linux visual kernel
>> config tool have been annoying and I've got friends with more
>> expierence with it that have much less kind things to say.
>
> Add me to the list. And this realates to sys/conf/* as well
> (respondig to the re-reply). Especially developers prefer *clean*,
> *simple* config files and I (personally) would really really hate to
> twiddle with some insane XML just to add something to the build!

Oh, agreed, definitely.  Wasn't even thinking XML (yuck!).  :-)

Basically, I'm just thinking of a layout which, in the simplest,
cleanest manner possible, would allow a "make config"-like tool to
extract the information it needed, so options could be presented to
the user along with their descriptions, if so desired.  I don't have a
clear-cut idea just yet of how this might be done, to be honest.  :-)

>> That said, so long as it doesn't impose too much developer burden,
>> an improved set of backend files that did a better job of handling
>> dependencies and knew which options where relevent given the
>> configured set of devices could be useful.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/todo.html has a "Desired
> features"-item saying: "Revised kld build infrastructure", which
> will pretty much interfere with this. You might want to contact with
> the current owner (peter@) and hear what he has to say.

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll check into that.

> Other than that, I'd welcome a somewhat enriched config
> environment as long as it is done reasonable and makes the job
> easier! And please: NO XML!

Cool.  And not to worry.  No XML.  :-)

>> There is a valid question of what a depenency means.  For instance,
>> you can't really have IP networking without lo(4) (there's a null
>> pointer derefrence if you try), but since you can load it as a
>> module, should you have to compile it in?
>
> There should be levels of dependencies ... i.e. the TBD config-tool
> would (strongly) suggest that you build-in lo(4) into an "options
> INET" kernel, but should not stop you to do else.

Exactly.  That's the sort of thing I had in mind.

I realize this is a fairly large undertaking, and hearing that others
have already made attempts but have yet to produce anything makes me a
little uncertain about it all, but I do think it's something worth
exploring.  And it'll keep me off the streets and out of trouble for a
good while, too.  :-)

If I manage to come up with anything reasonable, you'll hear about it
here.

Incidentally, is anyone else's mail to freebsd-config bouncing?

=======BOUNCE MESSAGE======
This is the Postfix program at host hub.freebsd.org.

below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

delete your own text from the message returned below.

                        The Postfix program

<freebsd-config@freebsd.org>: Command died with status 1:
    "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post freebsd-config". Command
output: post
    script, list not found: freebsd-config

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"