Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:43:18 +0300
From:      Stefanos Papanicolopulos <stefanos@mechan.ntua.gr>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   USB modems, umodem and ucom

I am trying to use a USB modem to connect to the internet. The modem is
a 'netmod', which is the standard modem you get in Greece when you get
an ISDN line from the telephone company. The company that produces it
gives instructions for using it under Linux, which actually sum up as:

1. Build kernel with 'USB Modem (CDC ACM) support'
2. Make sure you have device nodes for /dev/ttyACM?

Reading the (on-line) manual pages for 5.0-CURRENT, I guess in FreeBSD
this would 'translate' as:

1. Build kernel with 'ucom' and 'umodem'
2. Make sure you have device nodes for /dev/ttyU?

But FreeBSD-4.X (I am using 4.5-RELEASE) does not seem to have a ucom
driver, but only a umodem. Moreover, there is not a manual page for umodem.

So the questions are:
- Is there a way to access the USB modem in 4.X in a 'tty' fashion?
- In what ways can umodem by used besides through ucom?
- Am I completely missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Stefanos Papanicolopulos