Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:10:09 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Aaron" <security@adtu.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help understanding hostname cofig

Hi!

> We don't have a DNS server on site.The plan is to put the snort box
> between the internet firewall and the LAN. The firewall is also the
> dhcp server. So exactly what do we want to put for a qualified domain
> name??  The plan is to put the snort box between the internet
> firewall and the LAN. The firewall is also the dhcp server.

I assume you are using RFC1918 ("private") IP addresses on your LAN
behind the firewall. In that case the hostname is purely up to you to
invent. From the root shell, enter the following command:

hostname snortbox.our.net

Add a line like this to /etc/hosts:

10.0.0.1	snortbox.our.net snortbox

(assuming 10.0.0.1 is the IP address of your snort box)

Add a line like this to /etc/rc.conf:

hostname="snortbox.our.net"

If you want to be able to access the snort box by name from other hosts
on your network, then you need to also modify /etc/hosts on these other
hosts accordingly.

You probably don't want to let your DHCP server to assign a dynamic IP
address to your snort box.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Why is the third hand on a watch called a second hand?