Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:43:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@uol.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browsers us versions avail. abroad

> Hi,

Hi, Mario.

> 	I thought you guys would like to know
> that netscape communicator 4.74 US version
> is readily available in international sites.

I noticed that too.

> 	The license seems to be ok. Just check
> ftp://ftp.unicamp.br/pub/netscape/communicator/english/4.74/unix/

This morning, I sent in an update
(http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=20109) for the
bsdi-netscape47-communicator.us and bsdi-netscape47-navigator.us ports.
I even put ftp.unicamp.br among the MASTER_SITES. :-)  If you have time,
please take a look and let me know about any problem with my approach
(besides the botched synopsis line--duh!).

> 	The new crypto law is not fine but it is doing
> some good.

Yes, it's much more convenient not to have to download manually.

> 	I guess it is time to merge the separate
> international and us version ports. :)

It looks like Netscape/AOL has decided to only provide 128-bit SSL with
the new version.  However, people in a few countries--Cuba, Libya, the
Sudan, North Korea, Serbia, and probably some I forgot--are asked not to
download it.  If I were them, I doubt that I'd be keen on using anything
from the USA, or that I'd care about consequences for Netscape/AOL.
However, if someone gives me something with conditions attached, and I
promise to abide by the conditions, I feel better when I don't break my
word.  I don't mind doing a little work to maintain the 40-bit Netscape
ports, for honest users in those places.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt