Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:13:14 +0100
From:      "V. T. Mueller" <freebsd-amd64@datafarm.de>
To:        JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD 64 stability

JoaoBR schrieb:
>>>This in reference to the A8V??
>>Depends. My point is that you'll find plenty of boards that'll work
>>fine. How many chipsets are out there for Athlon64/Opteron? The real
>>problems lurk in the higher number of supplemental drivers (that are
>>maybe) needed for addon-hardware.
> depends on the hardware only, that has nothing to do with the software or
> dirver
> most MBs on the compatibility list do not support > 4GB
> especially the A8V max is 4GB

I was relating to "server usage", as stated in the first sentence of
my original email - which you decided not to quote.

Of course the A8V is no server board. So the limitations by design
will prevent a couple of pitfalls that were otherwise possible. If
the original poster is going to buy a server board/system, he should
carefully collect information regarding the whole environment he is
about to set up.

Besides, you should take a look on the compatibilty list again,
counting the number of server boards with chipsets that can address
up to 32 GB of RAM ;)

Cheers,
vt