Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 2015 17:12:31 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Andrew Daugherity <adaugherity@tamu.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-xen@freebsd.org" <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Poor performance with FreeBSD 10.1 under Xen 4.2

<adaugherity@tamu.edu>:
>=20
> On Mar 30, 2015, at 6:52 PM, Andrew Daugherity <adaugherity@tamu.edu> =
wrote:
>> On Mar 28, 2015, at 8:16 AM, Roger Pau Monn=E9 <roger.pau@citrix.com> =
wrote:
>>> I'm Ccing feld because IIRC he found something similar on one of his
>>> boxes, that also had VTx but no EPT (just like yours). Would it be
>>> possible for you to try the same set of tests on a different =
hardware?
>>=20
>> I think you're on to something.  I copied this FreeBSD 10.1 VM to a =
system running the same version of Xen (and same SLES in the Dom0), but =
with an Opteron 2360SE CPU (which has both SVM and NPT), and it is =
*much* faster (and feels more responsive too):
>> [snip]
>>> Also, if even FreeBSD 10.1 compiled without XENHVM shows this issue =
it
>>> means there's something in the generic code that doesn't work well =
when
>>> running virtualized on this specific hardware, but I'm afraid =
figuring
>>> it out is not trivial. One place to start would be asking on
>>> freebsd-hackers and freebsd-virt.
>>=20
>> I suppose this performance delta with presence of EPT/NPT vs. lack =
thereof means it's time to take it to those lists?  My next step will be =
to test 10.1 under KVM on the Xeon to confirm whether it's a Xen issue =
or strictly EPT.
>=20
> It seems I spoke too soon.  I booted into the "default" (non-Xen) =
Linux kernel on the Xeon E5420 box and launched the same FreeBSD 10.1 VM =
under KVM, and performance is much, much better:
>=20

Hi,

I have access to Xen at work (and will continue to do so - we intend to =
use and offer FreeBSD in our =84Cloud=93-platform (Apache CloudStack).

AFAIK, we have no KVM. Just Xen.

Unfortunately, I=92ve got little time currently, but I will try to get a =
VM where I can run this during the next week.

I will also collect the hardware-details of the host (AFAIK, we=92ve got =
HP DL380G8 servers with lots of RAM and two CPUs).

Rainer