Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:10:53 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: redundancy

On Sun, Mar 22, 1998 at 01:07:35AM -0800, Studded wrote:
> Geoff Jukema wrote:
>
> > Who needs the volunteer for reading the documentation? I'll help wherever i
> > can, i'm always willing to read references and docs.
> > I think making sure text files etc are correct, that is up to everyone.
> > Anytime theres a proplem with text, i guess we should keep a record of it,
> > then compile them in one searchable document, weather it be paper or screen
> > format.
>
> 	Thank you. :)  All you need to participate is to start reading the FAQ
> and Handbook and mail freebsd-doc@freebsd.org when you find something
> that needs updating. You could also subscribe to that list if you're
> interested in more of the discussion stuff about the docs.

For those who don't know I should explain that Doug is a volunteer who has
been giving good easy to understand advice on freebsd-questions for quite
some time, and has recently rejoined the freebsd-doc mailing list since
taking on the job of coordinating the text files for the next CD.

I'm really unsure whether or not newbies would be welcome to descend upon
the documentation team in freebsd-doc. I've heard different opinions about
whether that would change the way freebsd-doc works and whether or not that
would be a good thing. Since a member of that mailing list has invited the
newbies to rock on over I'm sending a copy of this email to both lists.

An alternative would be to encourage the use of freebsd-newbies by anyone
who wants to ask *us* for help for a change. There would be some advantages
in that. It is clear that we don't know enough about how anything gets done
for FreeBSD, or who does it, let alone how we could join in.

Different people have different responsibilities. For example, it's my job
to make sure that newbies have their own space to find ways of getting what
they need. I know about a lot of what goes on, but it might be much better
to hear directly from the people who are responsible for the different
projects. That way nobody would ever sound like they're speaking on behalf
of anyone else.

The only problem I see with this is that some of you said you want to do
things your own way. Some of you want to write your own documentation by
yourselves, independent of the other the documentation work. You see it as a
valuable way to learn and don't want to be told what it should look like for
newbies. If I understand correctly, you just want the chance to get on and
do it. There might be other newbies wanting to do someting else here without
any expert directing them. There is no other place where you can do that.

But maybe having our own space is not so important, or maybe the occasional
visitor is OK if they don't break anything :-) It's up to the rest of you
newbies to come to a single decision, and before you can decide on anything
you have to find something that newbies agree on. And before you can do that
you'll need time to talk among yourselves without anyone else's opinions.
Right now we hardly know each other. I think the people in freebsd-doc will
have some decisions to make as a whole group too.

Doug, have you got all the people you need for your project or are you
looking for newbies to volunteer?

There are some other people who were looking for volunteers. It looks like
some newbies are keen to help, so speak up.

PS
This is going to both lists, so be careful when you reply. Delete one
address if you don't want it to go to both.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more