Date:      Thu, 04 May 2000 23:33:31 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        nik@freebsd.org
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heavy activity bogs down system

> I don't have a desktop system with IDE disks to compare this too (in fact,
> I've never run another FreeBSD system without SCSI disks).  Should I expect
> IDE to have such an impact on system performance?
>   ide_pci0: <Intel PIIX4 Bus-master IDE controller> rev 0x01 on pci0.7.1
>   [...]
>   wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
>   wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DBCA-206480>

Looks like you're using your IDE disk in the slowest possible mode (PIO
etc). Have you tried DMA? On a nearby IDE disk here I have

wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DTTA-351680>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16

This is with the following flags in the kernel config:

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff

The difference between PIO and DMA can be dramatic.