Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:25:52 -0700
From:      "Jeff Mohler" <speedtoys.racing@gmail.com>
To:        juri_mian@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 24 TB UFS2 reality check ?

One drive has a what..maybe a 1 per 1.0 E15 bits transferred uBER, and
you have 24x that of one drive, as each drive it it's statistical crap
shoot.   Each drive may NEVER hit uBER for you, but one may do it
tomorrow.

Plus, you have commodity firmware levels on those drives and commodity
BER mechanisms, so you COULD argue you have another 2x liability WRT
losing it all without HEFTY raid, at least 5+1.

Cuz..if you have RAID, and you lose 1 drive, you have to touch a lot
of bits to recover that drive, which drives you quickly in to the
mathematical region of yet another BER, then you have a double drive
failure.

Just saying, good luck

And even back in 2002, uBER was only a point shorter, and that math
was a LOT harder to hit on the much smaller drives/arrays.

Let say you go bling for high end SATA drives, you only get about E16
at best, which still isnt good math with a 24TB FS...theoretically.

And, not to mention the cubic inches of RAM required to manage it once
you start to really fill it, much less fsck it.