Date:      Sun, 19 Feb 1995 23:43:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: libcompat and shlib conflict

> [ Multiple definitions of regerror() in libcompat ]
>
> > >  However, the newest ld is giving me errors trying to build
> > > libcompat (correctly so) with multiple definitions of the function
> > > regerror(), which is defined in both libcompat/4.3/regex.c and
> > > libcompat/regexp/regerror.c.
>
> Does anyone know what should be done here?  NetBSD just ignores the
> problem by not making a shared library.  The problem still exists though
> since at link time I'm not sure which version of regerror() will get
> used, and a quick perusal of the code makes it obvious that they can't
> be combined into one function.  I'm sure the function that is first
> found would be the first function linked in, but that could change
> depending on the other functions in the library and tsort.
>
> We either need to completely remove one of the functions, or ignore the
> problem and only build a static library which avoids the error at the
> cost of later problems in code.  (But, I suppose folks shouldn't be
> using the compat libraries anyway, right. :( )
>
> What say you?

I am not much of an export on this issue, but we defanitly need to do
something about cleaning it up.  Another anomoly caused by this is:

hookturn# man -k regerr
regcomp(3), regexec(3), regerror(3), regfree(3) - regular-expression library
regcomp(3), regexec(3), regsub(3), regerror(3) - regular expression handlers

I can get the first man page for sure with `man regfree' and the second
one with `man regsub' but I am not sure where the links for the other
ones point :-(.