Date:      Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:04:13 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Koop Mast <kwm@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Intel GPU driver and ports

--kGqy73/z6kAbhglh

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 03:51:54PM +0200, Koop Mast wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 16:16 +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> > Hello,
> > after the initial code drop, I have fixed some amount of bugs and got
> > several positive reports from users. If KMS worked on your machine, you
> > probably can use the driver with 3D acceleration on regular basis.
> >=20
> > As I see the state of the effort right now, there are two most
> > impeding issues that prevent wider testing of the driver. First is
> > the non-working display port code, causing failure in KMS for some
> > configurations. This will be eventually fixed.
> >=20
> > Second is the very laborous procedure to install the required usermode
> > components. The http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU lists the requirement=
s.
> >=20
> > The port provided ddx and mesa cannot be simply updated, because kernel
> > driver is not yet in src/ head, not mentioning the stable branches.
> > Also, new libdrm and mesa may be non-functional on our old non-intel DRI
> > drivers. Additional quirk is that in-tree Xorg server is old, and git
> > head for intel ddx cannot be built against old Xorg API.
>=20
> We ( freebsd x11@ team) are already working on a update, instructions
> below.=20
>=20
> Keep in mind that this update isn't complete yet. Not all xorg ports are
> updated yet. And there is the issue, that the old intel driver doesn't
> work with the new xorg-server. If you using this driver and don't want
> to update to current for the new intel driver, please don't use this
> repo.=20
>=20
> I'm currently working on a update for the mesa ports (libGL*, dri etc)
> to a version that works with the sandybridge.
>=20
> Also note that currently only the xf86-video-intel-kms driver is
> currently tested. (since my ati card seem to have died)
>=20
> svn co http://trillian.chruetertee.ch/ports/browser/branches/xorg-dev
It seems this is an URL for Track installation. What is the repo address ?

>=20
> A basic merge script can be found here
> http://people.freebsd.org/~miwi/xorg/xorgmerge
>=20
> just run portmaster -a, keep in mind to rebuild your xf86-* ports after
> the server update.
>=20
=46rom what I see using web browser, your plan is to update the stack in
the ports. I suspect this might cause problems for non-Intel cards or
for those who use in-tree i915.ko. In particular, new Mesa might not
work.

> -Koop
>=20
> > For wide testing, the easy way to install fresh usermode graphics stack
> > is neededi, while still allowing the most installations to use present
> > outdated versions.
> >=20
> > Could ports/x11 people help me there ? Thanks.
>=20

--kGqy73/z6kAbhglh

--kGqy73/z6kAbhglh--