Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:51:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Refuse sys/modules then make world dies

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> I just learned about refuse files and thought I would try them out to save
> my little P100 some compile time. Yes, I am tinkering and that might be
> bad but the results don't make sense to me. If someone can confirm that my
> observations are expected behavior I will go away quietly.
>
> It seems to me that the make world shouldn't rely on anything from
> sys/modules. Am I out to lunch?

	Yes, but not too far. BSD make uses a system of included
makefiles, so even though you don't have one level of the system, that
doesn't mean that other levels aren't expecting something to be there that
you don't have. Take a look at
http://freebsd.simplenet.com/doug-world.html#exclude to get some ideas,
and then keep going up the makefile tree till you get to the point where
what you are trying to exclude is actually being built.

Good luck,

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."