Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:12:22 -0700
From:      dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: How to Restore /var Tree?

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 09:44:51AM -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I made a major "booboo".  In an attempt to move my /var file system (is this
> the right term?) I deleted it.  This 4.3 machine was built recently and I
> hadn't implemented a backup strategy yet.  So, is there a way to rebuild the
> default /var file system from source without rebuilding the entire system or
> doing it all by hand?  I might do it by hand but I don't know what the
> layout is and I don't have another machine to look at.  Any advice or
> suggestions other than not to delete /var in the first place and do backups?
> :)

Your best off constructing /var tree based on another existing system.

Failing that, you can "reinstall" the distributions for your system
without clobbering anything important ... but, uhmmm, do this, first:

cp -Rp /etc /etc_saveme

Then, like, if the install clobbers your passwd files or the like, you
can just move the old ones back in place.

Either way, you've got some scarey thinking work cut out for you.
Congratulations!  You live and learn. :)

-danny