Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:26:08 +0000
From:      Mark Dixon <mnd999@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bridge wired / wireless without hosting the network - is this possible

--Apple-Mail=_5F98ABE8-9C68-4BDF-A54C-47F00F8ECFE9

Hi all,

Apologies if this has come up before but I can't see anything with a =
quick google.

What I want to do is setup a bridge between my wireless network and a =
wired one. Hostap I hear everyone cry but I don't think that will work =
because I don't want to create a wireless network  - I want to join an =
existing one because this box won't be turned on all the time. I also =
need the bridging desktop to have a DHCP acquired IP because it want to =
have internet access (I mainly use it for Scala dev).

Essentially, the network looks like this:

[Internet Router w/ DHCP] -----wired--[Switch] ---wired---[Airport =
Express]******wireless******[Desktop =
w/Freebsd9]-------wired-----[ReadyNAS]

What I want to do is have the freebsd (dual boot wi/ Windows) desktop =
bridge to the readyNAS when it's turned on via the wireless LAN so that =
I can access files on it. Unfortunately I can't connect the readyNAS to =
the switch because the switch is in the living room and the readyNAS is =
too noisy. When the desktop is running Windows 7 this is dead easy, but =
I can't figure out how to do it under FreeBSD.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark=