Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:01:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, soralx@cydem.org
Subject:   Re: Quiet computer

soralx@cydem.org wrote:

 > neither do I care how fast it is on someone else's system :p, but I'm
 > just curious whether the speed VIA claims, 25Gbps(!) peak is achievable

Note that that number is just the "raw" rate at which the
circuit can produce bits.  You still have some processing
overhead in the kernel and in the userland application
that uses the random device.  There's no "zero-copy random
device" yet.  ;-)

I also think that 25 Gbit/s is overly optimistic.  I guess
it can only achieved for a short period ("burst"), hence
they call it peak.  It's certainly not designed to keep
that data rate for a longer sustained period.

 > > I just care that it offloads the ALU.  I haven't gotten around to
 > > proving whether (and by how much) it does so.
 >
 > did you get to the point that you're sure it's being used?

Now that's easy.  Just type "sysctl kern.random".  If you
get a bunch of lines talking about "yarrow" and "harvest",
then the kernel's software PRNG is used.  If you get an
error message "unknown oid 'kern.random'", then a hardware
generator is being used.

Best regards
   Oliver  ("VIA C3 Nehemiah+RNG+AES ")

"Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself --
and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure."
        -- Eric Allman