Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 00:51:21 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        "Floris 'Tamama' van Gog" <floris@vangog.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Got an Alpha 21066 rev 2 hardware rev 1, how to get to SRM?

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 12:45:56AM +0100, Floris 'Tamama' van Gog wrote:
> Thank you for the reply,
>
> Unfortunately, there is no Unix operating system there.. the only OS I
> can select is Windows NT.
> Kind of funny.. I can select NT or an alternate.. and I can only select
> NT in the alternate .. heh.
>
> The board sticker has this:
>
>  54-23310-05  ay43602768 C02
>
> There is some info with a picture on this page (it is not mine) I found
> using google:
>
> http://joyce.questier.com/joyce.html

OK, I just wanted to make sure. You definitely have a "NoName" board.
Quoting from the (SGML source) docs:

      firmware in their Flash ROM.  The Flash ROM is not big enough to
      hold both ARC and SRM at the same time and allow software
      selection of alternate console code. But you only need SRM
      anyway.</para>

In short: you need to flash the console code to SRM, ARC & SRM
won't fit together. After you did that you can install FreeBSD.

This info & more is on the FreeBSD Alpha CD, I think it is in
the rootdir of the CD (*.TXT ??)

> Obviously the rand-hardware is not what i have but the picture of the
> board is exactly the same as mine. The firmware tells me there is
> 512bytes used out of 3kb of the NVRAM.
>
> I Hope this info will help you help me :-)

Sure..