Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 00:41:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SP Patchset #1 up

    The single-processor patchset is now up on my web page:

	http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeBSDSmp/

    This patch set will break MP builds, and it will break the alpha
    (since interrupt requirements have changed and machine-dependant code
    needs new functions).  We will not be able to make MP builds work
    until Greg has got the heavy-weight interrupt threading in place
    and I rewrite the MP interrupt code (which is set of assembly files
    independant from the SP interrupt code).  My part of it will take
    another weekend.

    People using this patchset should do minimalist SP builds.  I have
    tested it on an IDE and a SCSI box and it appears to work (read:
    not crash if I build a kernel on it).

    There are lots of pieces missing, I probably missed some of the
    SPL code (that is, SPL code that runs outside of the GiantMutex.
    Stuff inside GiantMutex is just fine).  But it's a good base to start
    with... it should be good enough for Greg to be able to start working
    on the interrupt threads.

    I hacked the syscons spl's to pieces, they are almost certainly
    not completely correct but probably not any worse then they were
    before (all those spltty's were useless for the most part since
    SIO uses a fast interrupt which ignores cpl protection already).

    I will put a document together on the web page describing the new
    calls.

    This is a very rough patchset, it's going to take a lot of hands to
    smooth out.  Remember that the goal of this patchset is to get most
    of the infrastructure in place so that others can start working on
    the system in parallel.

					-Matt