Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:10:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        specter <ai32@drexel.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adduser perm problem

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, specter wrote:

> Perhaps I am missing something, but under 4.0 and 4.1-Release,
> when adding a user via adduser, I see the perms on the created
> home directory as "drwxr-xr-x", allowing any one to cd in and
> view files.
>
> Is this normal behavior, or have I oopsed something on my
> system?

This is normal system behavior on FreeBSD and most UNIX-like operating
systems.  However, you can certainly imagine environments where you'd
prefer an alternate home directory permission set, and it might be worth
modifying adduser to support a command line argument (or configuration
directive in adduser.conf) specifying a different permission set.

I tend to create user home directories with the default open permissions,
but also create public_html/ and private/ subdirectories, indicating that
private material should be stored under the private directory.  This seems
to work fairly well in practice.

  Robert N M Watson