Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:30:34 +0200
From:      Mark Schouten <mark@tuxis.nl>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, Garrett Wollman <wollman@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Frequent hickups on the networking layer

Hi,

On 04/28/2015 11:06 PM, Rick Macklem wrote:
> There have been email list threads discussing how allocating 9K jumbo
> mbufs will fragment the KVM (kernel virtual memory) used for mbuf
> cluster allocation and cause grief. If your
> net device driver is one that allocates 9K jumbo mbufs for receive
> instead of using a list of smaller mbuf clusters, I'd guess this is
> what is biting you.

I'm not really (or really not) comfortable with hacking and recompiling
stuff. I'd rather not change anything in the kernel. So would it help in
my case to lower my MTU from 9000 to 4000? If I understand correctly,
this would need to allocate chunks of 4k, which is far more logical from
a memory point of view?

Mark