Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 21:17:55 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Bob Collins <pineypl@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SB 16 now works

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 03:37:41PM -0400, Bob Collins wrote:
> Many thanks to Ben Smithurst and Mark Ovens regarding my lack of sound.
> Both of these FreeBSD gentlemen responded to my questions to get the
> aforementioned card to work. The short of it is that I was able to
> config the kernel with support and could see with dmesg and sndstat that
> things should work. They did not. After a little fiddling and following
> a suggestion to
>
> #cd /dev
> #sh MAKEDEV snd0
>
> I tested the sound and it works. Thanks guys.
>
> I did #MAKEDEV sndo and that did not do it! Go figure,
> I had to do #sh MAKEDEV snd0

Ah, you will notice that *I* said do ``./MAKEDEV snd0'', note the
leading ``./''. /dev isn't in your path (unless you've got a really
weird setup) so you need to give the path (in this case the current
directory). Remember that UNIX doesn't search the current directory by
default like DOS/Windows does (security reasons).

When you prefix ``sh'' then MAKEDEV becomes an argument to sh rather
than a command name so it *is* searched for in the current directory.

> Also I gotta say, FreeBSD kicks ass in a big way. It is amazing to be
> able to do so much to a system and NOT requite a reboot! I am well on my
> way to leave M$ way behind me.... YIPPEEEEEE
>
> Funny thing is that I cannot yet get music to play from the cd through
> the sound card. Oh well, one hurdle at a time. And yes, I do have the
> sound cable connected. ;-)

The basic test here is to cat(1) a .au file to the audio device:

    cat /usr/local/lib/TkDesk/sounds/door_open.au > /dev/audio

There isn't, AFAIK, any .au files in the std FreeBSD system, the
example above comes with the Tkdesk port.

> --
> Bob Collins Driving my '95 E36/5 Active >> Sport
> on the www.InternetCoast.com

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?