Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:56:25 -0600
From:      "William Knechtel" <webmaster@endikos.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with FreeBSD Bridged Firewall

Hello!

Help!! I'm running a PC with dual NICs and FreeBSD 4.8 for a bridged
firewall. I've got a private IP 10.0.0.1 tied to the internal card on the
box for remote management. The firewall blocks any 10.x traffic coming in on
the external card, so to remotely admin it, I have to shell into a machine
on the same isolated network segment that it's on, and then shell over from
that machine.

Today around noon, the machine suddenly stopped responding to pings. I went
down to the server room and couldnt find anything wrong.   No notes on the
console screen, no anomalous entries in the security or message logs. So, in
the interest of getting it back up quickly, I rebooted it. That worked.
About an hour later, the same thing happened... my network monitor tells me
that it's not responding to pings. So before I go down to the server room, I
run a few tests... the firewall is still blocking packets like a champ.  I
run nmap against a host the firewall protects, and everything comes back
fine.  But when I go downstairs to the console, I can't ping out to it's
10.0.0.2 buddy, and no incoming pings work either.  I'm at a loss on how to
troubleshoot this, folks.  I could really use a few ideas, so please send
them along!

Thanks in Advance!
Bill