Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 00:39:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Guy Silliman <gws@eclipse.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   invalid format! HELP!!!!

Hello..
  Been a while since I needed help... but this one is really hitting
hard.  Over the last 24hours I notice my 2.1.5 box halting with some kind
of error trap that brings up the high intensity white type and attempts a
reboot (I say attempts cause my AMD 5x86 chip is not handling the reboot
signal since the get-go).

  Well, evidently the problem esculated itself, see now at boot time, I
get an error when fbsd first attempts to read the boot drive for the
kernel.  It says "invalid format!" and then tries again and again...

  In all honesty, I was planning to upgrade to 2.1.7 soon, if not wait
the month or two and put 2.2 up, but right now I just want to salvage the
data from my drives... I have some code that has not been backed-up
(shame on me) and some things I REALLY don't want to loss.

  If anyone out there in FBSD land can help.... please, please drop me a
note.  direct email please, my mailing subscription mailbox is on the
effected machine <smirk>.

  Thanks,
      Guy
      gws@eclipse.net