Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:15:55 -0800
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

Hi Greg...

[you said...]
OK, I've said my piece here, and I disagree entirely.  But it's not
up
to me; I've been using Emacs and similar editors for 20 years.  The
real question is: what do newbies think?  Anybody want to comment?

[now here's my 0.2....]

I've broken the *nix ice  --- with an old version of Linux Slackware.
Nothing fancy -- no X. I've got freaking "broken pipes" ; can't get
the printer going; "less"ing every frigging thing that I see; and
"man"ed the whole bloody fs. OK -- so I'm going uphill!
Be-that-as-it-may, IMHO, the last thing a newbie with a throbbing
headache, pissed off and zero patience left, needs is to launch
himself straight hell with vi or vim or jove. Then i discovered
joe --- no screaming hell, but friendlier, cuz now I have a help menu
at the top so that i can at least exit in 10 seconds, instead of
hitting every key/key-combo. Now please, folks don't take offense --
vi/vim, emacs et al are all probably great for you guys with all that
experience.

Bottom line for a simple, effective, newbie text-editor --- something
like joe or DOS edit. I'm in; I'm out --bingo, bango "printcap" is
modified and my bald-spot is no wider. Printer still doesn't work --
but what the hell.

Note: -- I used the above -- out-dated software notwithstanding --
merely to make my point. Once I learn enough *nix, I'll install FBSD
and will most likely be pleasantly surprised - and won't be such a
pain-in-the-d'ariel - oops- I mean derriere!

I'm outta here --- back to man setterm -- I hate white-on-black. I
fell like I'm in a funeral parlor :-) BTW, Greg -- thanks for your
comments/suggestions re FBSD UGs!

later......duke
-duke