Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:22:05 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Jerod Prothe <jprothe@usd217.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail malady - dns/postfix

Norberto Meijome wrote:
> Jerod Prothe wrote:
>>
>> CNAME to galley?  That's a good idea.
>
> this will only affect those who have an updated record of your zone and
> can see that new record. For those that still think that MX is otto on
> it's real(old) IP, the CNAME wont help them a bit. Assigning otto's
> public IP to galley will fix this problem.

Doh! /me thwacks self with clue stick... so obvious, especially when
we did exactly that on our last mail server replacement, in order to
avoid this very problem.

> Also, you may want to make triple sure the serial of your zone gets
> updated with every change...else downstream DNS servers wont necessarily
> pickup the changes.

>> I changed it and reduced the expire time to 10d (I got it out of the
>> Lehey Complete FreeBSD book).  I wonder why it is that Australia has
>> updated but a US State has not?

Hard to say, but as far as a management discussion goes, it is clear
that this problem has really nothing to do with your selection of
FreeBSD as DNS/mail host, and (barring better failsafe procedures
like IP number migration) would have occurred regardless of the OS
chosen. The problem as such is 3rd party systems you can't control.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348