Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:47:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, nuzrin@goose.net.my
Subject:   Re: options HZ=1000

nuzrin yaapar <nuzrin@yahoo.com> wrote:
 > I've been searching for quite some time now but cannot find any pointers.
 > It's regarding the options HZ=1000 in the kernel configuration file. Do
 > anyone know what impact this setting might have to the overall performance?
 > Any other things I should be aware of when I use this options?
 >
 > Any experiences shared or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

It depends what your intention is.

To increase scheduler granularity, I'd recommend not to
fiddle with HZ, but instead to decrese the kern.quantum
sysctl.  This helps especially when you're running
processes that are cpu-bound and processes that are i/o-
bound on the same machine.

I've seen this on fileservers running rc5 (or seti, or
prime number crunchers, or similar stuff).  As soon as
you started the cpu-bound process, the network performance
of the fileserver dropped down noticeable, no matter
whether you used nice (or even idprio) or not.  Tuning
kern.quantum fixed the problem.

Increasing the rate by a factor of 10 shouldn't have any
significant overhead.  Keep in mind that a 1 GHz processor
executes one million cycles within one millisecond.
So, one millisecond is quite an eternity for a CPU.  :-)

Regards
   Oliver