Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 07:58:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jason Fesler <jfesler@gigo.com>
To:        Dave Wilson <davew@sai.co.za>
Cc:        Matthew Horoschun <matthew@actweb.net>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DNS redundancy & load balancing

> Indeed but clients have their primary DNS server set to our primary, thus if
> our primary goes down no resolution takes place.
> Clients have a their seconday DNS set to our secondary DNS, but we've found
> that often M$ machines never even try looking at their secondary DNS server.
> Any ideas ?

Move your DNS servers to different IP addresses, ones that are not
published.  Assign virtual IP addresses (the published ones).  If you have
a DNS failure or host failure, you can remove (if needed) the published
virtual IP, and put it on as a second virtual IP on the remaining host.
If you're good, you can even automate this with creative use of a third
host for monitoring and administering the IP changes.

OF course, you can also just solve this with hardware, ala Alteons and
their like, but most ISP's are too cheap.  [Been there, done that, got
screwed on the tshirt. ;-)]