Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:30:00 +0100
From:      Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin Directory Ownership

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> I have noticed that /usr/bin has the ownership of user 'bin' and group
> 'bin.' This is in spite of the fact that I count more than 2 dozen
> commands onwed by root that are installed by the standard FreeBSD
> installation tools or ports. In addition, /usr/libexec and /usr/sbin
> (!!!) are owned by bin but contain root owned executables.
>
> Am I being over protective? Is there a problem with my installation?
> Do I need to relax?

Which version of FreeBSD you're running ? On my FreeBSD-3.0-CURRENT box
this directory is owned by root.wheel:

lutz@abraxas[~] > ls -ld /usr/bin
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  6656 Jan 21 19:43 /usr/bin

lutz

--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de, pgp key available from <http://www.pgp.net>;
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.