Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 03:03:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-ports@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/3936: perl 5.004_01 is already available

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Scott Blachowicz wrote:

> 	BUILD_DEPENDS+=		perl5:${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5
> 	RUN_DEPENDS+=		perl5:${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5
>
> and make sure that the lang/perl5 port installs a 'perl5' link.  Then you
> won't even have to change bsd.port.mk for the next perl5 update that you want
> to use in the p5-* ports.

The problem is that perl5.001 - perl5.004_01 have all installed a hard
link to ${PREFIX}/bin/perl (or perl5 in your scenario).  There's no way to
tell what version the user had installed, and many CPAN modules require
5.002 or 5.003 to build.  Using the specific version allows us to force an
upgrade of perl when a module requiring it is built.

Having that version encoded in each p5-* port was a bad thing though.
Satoshi's new patch will allow us to centralize it, albeit inside of
bsd.port.mk, a file that many people don't update often.

We are, however, working on a way to solve the bsd.port.mk problem, which
should make all the pieces fall into place.  In theory.

--
j.