Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:14:03 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Countering stack overflow

> I am mainly interested in this vulnerability since it seems to allow an
> outsider to waltz into your machine and gain root privilege immediately.
> It seems to be much more serious than the other security problems.

Actually, it is no more powerful than any other security hole and I
would hardly say that it's tantamount to allowing outsiders to waltz
in as root - a whole cascade of errors, of which insufficient bounds
checking is only one part, is required before that can happen.

I'm sorry that you're tired of discussing this, but you did sort of
put your foot in it by jumping in with a lot of proposals for "fixing"
the problem before you fully understood the principles and
ramifications of it yourself, having only become recently acquainted
with the problem at all (by your own admission).  Because you were so
shocked at the significance of this "new" knowledge, you naturally
also wanted to do something about it right away and that's
commendable.  Just simply be aware that this is a not a new problem
and that if there were easy fixes for it, they'd be widely adopted by
now.  It's just not that easy though, and a panacea is not likely to
emerge from this discussion.

As regards the stack checking, I have to agree with David.  It'd be
like having a rent-a-cop on duty at your apartment complex.  He might
catch some truly blatant burglers, and maybe he also keeps the vandals
from spray-painting your car occasionally, but if some truly motivated
burgler really wants to get into your house then that rent-a-cop might
as well not even be there, and the ONLY thing which is going to save
you is your own security.  The locks on your door, the bars on your
window and having intelligence enough not to leave the key under the
matt.

Doing proper strncpy()s and such all fall under the category of
"proper precautions" and we should simply make sure that all past and
future code takes them, just as we'd expect it to verify its arguments
and not core dump just because the user passed in a bogus flag.

And now I'd be more than happy to join you in a vow of silence on this
topic.

						Jordan