Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 1997 15:46:13 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attention all users of the de driver!

"Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
>If you have a de0 device in your machine and you're running -current,
>NOW is the time to let us know if there are any problems with it!
>
>We know for a fact that 2.2-stable's driver does not work on at least
>one card, the Znyx 4-port NIC, but we also don't know if 3.0-current
>is going to break a lot more people if we bring it in.  Therefore, if
>you do NOT wish to see the de driver in 2.2-stable updated using the
>3.0-current bits, now is the time to speak up since we will otherwise
>take your silence as "it works great, bring it on over!"

I started using the de driver recently at work. Most of the time it
works quite well, but I frequently see "hangs" which are almost always
associated with a "CRC error" message on the console. By "hangs" I mean
noticeable delays in echoing in an xterm or when ftp'ing. BTW I'm using
the card with 10B5 (aka cheapernet).

With my trusty old NE2000 clone I never saw this behavior.

Otherwise the driver is quite good.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de