Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:41:46 -0800
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tcp resets with ipfw

	Hello,

	It will really be sad when someday someone with root access to
	FreeBSD box does (either accidently or on purpose):

# ipfw add 1 reset tcp from any to any

	While one might argue this is equivalent to doing "rm -rf /*",
	many people alias rm to rm -i. Would it make sence to have
	ipfw code check to make sure people don't take down the network
	by making a typo or some such? If so, how would we do that? I like
	the way Cisco routers do:

This may severely impact network performance. Continue? [confirm]

	But ipfw has to be non interactive (sh /etc/rc.firewall). On the
	other hand, maybe when someone is about to take down their network
	it would make sence to be interactive to make sure they know what
	they are doing?

	I guess this is going all the way back to "Unix lets you do stupid
	things - else it wouldn't let you do smart things" or some such
	saying.

-- Yan