Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2012 16:44:53 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ron McDowell <rcm@fuzzwad.org>
Subject:   [PREVIEW] bsdconfig(8)

Hiya fellow -hackers@

Many have complained that bsdinstall(8) does only a fraction of sysinstall(8).
This complaint is generally understood to be in-relation to the "Configure" menu
of sysinstall(8).

Some here may already know that Ron McDowell and I have been hard  at-work
developing the replacement for sysinstall(8)'s "Configure" menu -- which we have
named bsdconfig(8).

bsdconfig(8), together with already-existing bsdinstall(8), should fill the
gap(s) when sysinstall(8) goes-away in FreeBSD-10.

bsdconfig(8) is being designed with the intention of being MFC'd to 9, so that
sysinstall(8) and bsdconfig(8) can co-exist side-by-side while the bugs are
worked out in RELENG_9.

Later down the road, 10.0 would have only bsdinstall(8) and bsdconfig(8)
(sysinstall(8) would no longer be provided).

Thus, allowing a smooth transition away from sysinstall(8).

With all that being said, without further ado, let me introduce the latest
preview:

http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/bsdconfig/

NOTE: As of this writing, latest version is "bsdconfig.120305.txz" obtainable
from the above directory

PRE-REQUISITES:

You need an already-checked-out version of the FreeBSD source tree (preferably
9.0 or higher).

INSTRUCTIONS:

	1. cd /usr/src
	2. fetch http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/bsdconfig/bsdconfig.120305.txz
	3. tar zxf bsdconfig.120305.txz
	4. cd bsdconfig
	5. sudo make install

HOW TO USE:

	bsdconfig -h
	bsdconfig

NOTE: If sudo(8) is installed, no need to run as root (bsdconfig will handle
this for you -- if/when root privileges are needed, you'll be prompted for your
sudo(8) credentials).

If you have an X11 display and have xauth(1) installed, try this in an X11
session:

	bsdconfig -X

Some other things to try for fun:

	bsdconfig hostname
		# jump directly to hostname configuration

	bsdconfig users
		# jump directly to user management

	bsdconfig networking
		# jump directly to network management

	bsdconfig defaultrouter
		# jump directly to defaultrouter configuration

	bsdconfig nameservers
		# jump directly to DNS nameserver configuration

	bsdconfig docsinstall
		# jump directly to documentation installation

	bsdconfig timezone
		# jump directly to timezone configuration

	bsdconfig timezone -X
		# Configure the timezone using X11 GUI

	bsdconfig timezone -h
		# See timezone usage (for which there are many options)

ERRATA:

"Documentation Installation" is fully functional
"Network Management" is fully functional
"Time Zone" is fully functional

and

"Login/Group Management" is mostly functional (group add/edit/delete not done
yet)

Rest of the remaining modules are not functional yet.

We continue to work very hard on this every day and look forward to any/all
feedback, comments, suggestions, and snide remarks.
--
Cheers,
Devin