Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 07:14:49 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Daniel Haischt <sirabyss@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        andyo@prime.net.ua
Subject:   can't build expat-xml library for php3

HIYA

I tried to install apache 1.3.6 with php3 and xml support.
To do this u need a xml parser library called expat.
(There is a perl-xml parser in the ports collection using expat
but without the library that is needed for php3 --with-xml)

BTW Andy - The libclntsh.so file was Oracle8.0.5.1 library ...

Sources for expat can be found at http://www.jclark.com/xml/
but the Makefile coming with that sources wont build a library
file by default.

Cause of that I tried to use a Makefile found at
http://www.guardian.no/~ssb/phpxml.html.

Unfortunally this Makefile produced lots of errors - Makefile and
error output follows below

---------------------------------------
MAKEFILE
---------------------------------------

CC=gcc
# If you know what your system's byte order is, define BYTE_ORDER:
# use -DBYTE_ORDER=12 for little-endian byte order;
# use -DBYTE_ORDER=21 for big-endian (network) byte order.
FPIC=
CFLAGS=-O2 -g -Ixmltok -Ixmlparse $(FPIC)
# Use one of the next two lines; unixfilemap is better if it works.
FILEMAP_OBJ=xmlwf/unixfilemap.o
#FILEMAP_OBJ=xmlwf/readfilemap.o
OBJS=xmltok/xmltok.o \
  xmltok/xmlrole.o \
  xmlwf/xmlwf.o \
  xmlwf/codepage.o \
  xmlparse/xmlparse.o \
  xmlparse/hashtable.o \
  $(FILEMAP_OBJ)
EXE=

SHLIB=libexpat.so.1.0
SHLIBMAJ=libexpat.so.1
STLIB=libexpat.a

all: stlib
stlib: $(STLIB)
shlib:
    $(MAKE) FPIC=-fPIC $(SHLIB)

$(SHLIB): $(OBJS)
    $(CC) -shared -Wl,-soname,$(SHLIBMAJ) -lc -o $@ $(OBJS)

$(STLIB): $(OBJS)
    ar -rc $@ $(OBJS)
    ranlib $@

xmlwf/xmlwf$(EXE): $(OBJS)
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJS)

clean:
    rm -f $(OBJS) xmlwf/xmlwf$(EXE)
    rm -f $(SHLIB) $(STLIB)

xmltok/nametab.h: gennmtab/gennmtab$(EXE)
    rm -f $@
    gennmtab/gennmtab$(EXE) >$@

gennmtab/gennmtab$(EXE): gennmtab/gennmtab.c
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ gennmtab/gennmtab.c

xmltok/xmltok.o: xmltok/nametab.h

c.o:
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c -o $@ $<

---------------------------------------
Error output
---------------------------------------

"Makefile", line 26: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 29: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 32: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 33: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 37: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 40: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 41: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 44: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 45: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 48: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 53: Missing dependency operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

Hopfully there is someone who can tell me how to change the
Makefile to finally build apache without any errors

Thanx in advance and Best Regards

Daniel Haischt

---
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net