Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:38:22 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Emanuel Haupt <haupt@outof.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wireless card

> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 00:12:08 +0200
> From: Emanuel Haupt <haupt@outof.ch>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> hi,
>
> i am a proud owner of the following wireless card:
> wi0: using RF:PRISM2 MAC:HFA3841 CARD:HWB3163 rev.A, Firmware: 1.4 variant 9
>
> in the city where i live is at several places public wireless network available.
> how can i look up these networks? i was reading the wicontrol manual carefully.
> after all it looks to me like there are a lot of informations that you just have
> to _know_ like the network name, station name...
>
> any help would be gratefully appreciated

If the network is "open" and un-encrypted, you really should not need
anything. The default is to connect to whatever local net is
available.

If the network name is blank, you will connect to anything. If you
want to connect to a specific net, you must specify the network
name. For WEP encrypted nets you must enter a transmission key and tell
the card to run encryption using that key.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)