Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 13:31:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        svanrafe@explorer.csc.com (Stefan Vanrafelghem)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 486DX2 FreeBSD boot.flp problems (fwd)

Stefan Vanrafelghem stands accused of saying:
> I checked, and indeed the Future Domain controller does not have "Bus master"
> capability...
>
> I would rather not fork out another couple hundred dollars on
> a new controller... Can anyone tell me for sure if FreeBSD requires
> Bus master... or if there is some other work around/patch.

FreeBSD does not _require_ a busmastering SCSI controller, however
the alternative (PIO controllers) perform extremely badly in
multiprocessing environments.  The FD controller _may_ be supported
by the sea0 driver; others have reported success with some combinations.

Given that you have all of your disk on the SCSI bus, a decent SCSI controller
will pay for itself in no time flat.  If you have VLB, the Adaptec 2842
is probably the best price/performance point, if you only have ISA,
the Adaptec 1542CF will fit your bill, as Ted pointed out.

> Stefan J. Van Rafelghem

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[