Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 08:32:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        arg@arg1.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gordon)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Teletext decoding with the Hauppauge...

> I am currently working on a teletext system (using some rather better
> hardware that allows the complete page database to be maintained

I don't think there is really a limitation on the hardware (see
below)

> in RAM/on disk rather than waiting for individual pages).  My plan for
> user interface is to make a CGI that serves web pages.

Yes, this was something we hacked up a few years ago. Unfortunately
the code for teletext->gif conversion was a complete mess.

My previous approach was to use the video capture part of the Hauppauge
(Bt848) to sample the incoming video stream and do all the
necessary signal processingand teletext decoding in software. It
pretty much works, capturing pages at almost full speed on a
PPro200 -- obviously it kills the machine...
The code is on my web page if you want:

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html

Using the embedded teletext decoder on the hauppauge saves quite a
few CPU cycles.

The SAA5246 can capture up to 8 pages simultaneously, and you can
set up filters to select specific pages or get the first one which
comes in. So, although a bit tricky, one approach could be to use
2-3 such pages to capture any data which comes in, and the
remaining to capture specific pages.

The tricky part is to schedule which page to request, avoid
problems caused by requests for non-existing pages, etc. I am
working on this as well.

> Most of what I am doing won't be directly applicable, but I can let
> you have a teletext page -> .gif file conversion utility if you want it.

yes please...

	Cheers
	Luigi