Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:41:04 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Searching for users of netncp and nwfs to help debug 5.0 problems

At 6:45 PM -0500 2002/11/21, Robert Watson wrote:

>  I appreciate the effort, and am interested in the idea, but in this case
>  it was as much a solicitation for a developer as for the testing
>  environment itself.  This won't just be "testing" of netncp and nwfs, this
>  will probably require a developer to have local access to a netware
>  configuration that they can do nasty things to in order to exercise the
>  code properly.  Unfortunately, those seem to be in short supply.

	I understand.  My understanding is that part of the job of this
team is to find people that have various different types of
environments that could be used for testing like this, and put them
together with the necessary development personnel.

>  If I might suggest: there's a freebsd-qa mailing list.  It's a great place
>  to organize QA efforts, whereas freebsd-chat is notorious for its lack of
>  signal (it's where dead signals go to rot).

	There's been some talk of freebsd-qa, but so far the only thing I
recall being said is that the sort of thing we're talking about doing
is not what this list has been used for in the past.  We were kind of
wondering where we could take this particular effort, and if we could
commandeer the freebsd-qa list for this purpose.

>                 If you moving the conversation there and get a bunch of
>  people subscribed and interested, they'll be able to look there for the
>  stream of bug fixes associated with the install process, and get easy
>  access to the testing guide as it evolves, since we usually pass drafts
>  through there, etc.

	We will be moving the conversation to somewhere more appropriate,
but I don't know when or where.

	I believe that our biggest problem at the moment is finding the
necessary development types to help us debug the problems and get
them sorted out -- we've got people who have hardware, and would be
more than willing to help test things out, but in the past they
haven't gotten much help from the developers.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>