Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 01:13:33 +0000
From:      Rob <drifter@stratos.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Splash Screen

     Hi all,

     I was reading that if you install a splash screen, you can clear it so
that you can see the boot messages by pressing any key.  The man
page for splash did say that it might take a few seconds for the boot
procedure to capture the key press and clear the splash image while
it's probling different devices, but it never seems to work for me until
it's finished.
     Are there any tips to make it easier to clear the splash screen, or
is it pretty much tough luck?

     Also, I am using an ATI Mach64 video card.  Does this card have
VESA mode for larger splash images?  I tried enabling VESA in by
loader.rc file per the instructions, but loading of The Matrix image failed
with an error message I don't remember now -- but I can post if any
one is interested...

     Thanks,

--

- Rob