Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 04:56:07 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot stuck at F1 after swapping drives

On 2002-11-20 21:39, Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I shutdown FreeBSD and changed my harddrive and
> booted up Win2K this morning (needed Windoze for something
> real quick). I put the FreeBSD harddrive back and it wouldn't
> boot, it got stuck at the F1 boot0 prompt.  Like it couldn't
> find the MBR or something. How do I get it to boot again?

Check what BIOS thinks about the drive.  If you haven't set the disk
type to "AUTO" and used the disk detection tools of BIOS when you
swapped disks and used the Windows disk, you'll have to rerun the BIOS
disk detection tool after changing the disks again.

> This is weird. Maybe I didn't shut it down correctly this morning.

Windows shouldn't really be able to affect FreeBSD, if they're not
running off the same disk :)