Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 1997 02:47:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what/when/how make world

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Recently subscribed to the stable mailing list. I see references to
> "make world"  , but have not find that much info about it.
>
> The only place on the documentation I found about it is on the FAQ. In
> it it say s: make world clobbers my existing installed binaries. In
> there it explains that "make world" rebuilds all the binaries of the
> system.
>
> When would it be necessary to do this? What sources do I need to dl? why
> would I want to do this instead of just the kernel?
>
> I tried searching the mailing list for this, but it seems they are down
> (even a search on "make" by itself returned nothing).

	99.9% of FreeBSD users never need to do a "make world".  They are
usually only developers, or people that want to revuild the entire OS with
their favorite compiler flags, e.g. -m486, if you are not using a pentium
of newer CPU.  In somecases you will notice a difference in performance.
Most people don't care enough.  On a 486/66MHz, it is a 12+ hour process.

	All you need is the full source distribution.  i.e. everything
under /usr/src.

	When you do a "make world", you will rebuild every executable
program shipped as part of FreeBSD as well as regenerate a number of
config files.  If you do a "make install" afterwards, you will replace
your installed binaries.

	Until you really feel that you need to do this, I'd recommend that
you stick with rebuilding the kernel only.  This is the most important and
most rewarding part of the system to recompile.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,