Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 1997 09:54:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nino Udovicic <max_brod@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pnp support

I am having trouble installing PnP soundblaster soundcard. The thing
is, i have succeded is patching the kernel with the PNP patch provided
under xperiments. And it worked. This is the pnp.c configration. (read
on)

/* Configuration for the SoundBlaster 16 PnP */
 {
	0x10073b56,             /* Serial Number */
           	-1,             /* Logical Device Number */
	{
		{ 5, -1 },     /* Primary IRQ Number, Type */
		{ -1, -1 }      /* Second  IRQ Number, Type */
	},
	{ 5, -1 },               /* DRQ Number */
	{
		0x220,          /* Ports 1 */
		0x330,          /* Ports 2 */
		0x388,          /* Ports 3 */
		   -1,          /* Ports 4 */
		   -1,          /* Ports 5 */
		   -1,          /* Ports 6 */
		   -1,          /* Ports 7 */
		   -1,          /* Ports 8 */
	},
	{
		{ -1, -1, -1 }, /* Memory desc0 - base, ctrl, range */
		{ -1, -1, -1 }, /* Memory desc1 - base, ctrl, range */
		{ -1, -1, -1 }, /* Memory desc2 - base, ctrl, range */
		{ -1, -1, -1 }  /* Memory desc3 - base, ctrl, range */
	}
 }

And the output the kernel gives at the beginning is:

Board Vendor ID: CTL002b     Board Serial Number: 10073b56
	Configuring (Logical Device 0)

As it became apparent to me this was not enough, the standard devices
in the kernel config file still have to be configured. What my
question basicaly is: what to do o have to set the

controller      snd0
              device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1
vector sbintr
              device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
              device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
              device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

lines for my card to work if the pnpinfo gives me this:

Checking for Plug-n-Play devices...
Trying Read_Port at 203
Card assigned CSN #1
Board Vendor ID: CTL002b
Board Serial Number: 10073b56
PnP Version: 1.0
Vendor Version: 32
Device Description: Creative SB16 PnP
Logical Device ID: CTL0031 (31008c0e)
Device Description: Audio
Start Dependent Function
Good Configuration
IRQ: 5
DMA: 0 1
DMA: 8-bit only
DMA: Device is not a bus master
DMA: May execute in count by byte mode
DMA: May not execute in count by word mode
DMA: Compatibility mode
DMA: 5
DMA: 16-bit only
DMA: Device is not a bus master
DMA: May not execute in count by byte mode
DMA: May execute in count by word mode
DMA: Compatibility mode
Device decodes the full 16-bit ISA address
I/O Range maximum address: 0x220
I/O Range maximum address: 0x220
I/O alignment for minimum: 1
I/O length: 16
Device decodes the full 16-bit ISA address
I/O Range maximum address: 0x330
I/O Range maximum address: 0x330
I/O alignment for minimum: 1
I/O length: 2
Device decodes the full 16-bit ISA address
I/O Range maximum address: 0x388
I/O Range maximum address: 0x388
I/O alignment for minimum: 1
I/O length: 4

I have tried a number of configurations nad not one of them worked.
The best i got is the midi working every time. Even when i get the
message that all the devices (sb0, sbxvi0, opl0, sbmidi0) are
configured midi works, but programs envolving some other format just
dont give output (some of them crash saying:
DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

I know what this should mean but i tried so many different settings.
If it helps i can change the card resource settings using a program
under dos.
And, yes, the card worked fine on other OS's.
Thank you in advance.