Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 2020 16:52:01 +0200
From:      Julien Cigar <julien@perdition.city>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   CARP over VLAN over LAGG

Hello,

I have a "highly available" router/firewall with the following
configuration (1). Those are plugged in two 2930F (with VSF) using LACP.
It works well, except that I have some weird issues with the CARP
demotion counter when I'm unplugging some interfaces involved in the
lagg/carp setup, for example if I unplug/replug igb0 and igb1 in this
case:

(dmesg):
igb0: link state changed to DOWN
igb1: link state changed to DOWN
carp: demoted by 240 to 240 (send error 50 on vlan11)
carp: 11@vlan11: MASTER -> BACKUP (more frequent advertisement received)
vlan11: deletion failed: 3
igb1: link state changed to UP
igb0: link state changed to UP

then the CARP status stays to BACKUP unless I demote the CARP demotion
counter manually with: sudo sysctl net.inet.carp.demotion=-240:

(dmesg):
carp: demoted by -240 to 0 (sysctl)
carp: 11@vlan11: BACKUP -> MASTER (preempting a slower master)

I guess this is because it takes some time for lagg/lacp to converge and
thus carp thinks that there is a problematic condition as it experiences
problems with sending announcements..

What it the best way to handle this?

Thanks,
Julien