Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:30:20 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Paul.Newman@pgen.com
Cc:        chrisc@vmunix.com, mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org, ignacioc@avantel.net, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine

> One good proxy for a number of likely magazine subscribers might be the
> subscribers to FREEBSD CDs multiplied by 1.x

Already tried that, they didn't see it that way.  They want the actual
number of people who will be interested in buying a magazine, not
installation media.

They would also like to know the number of potential advertisers.
Aside from one ("BSDi"), I don't know of any companies which would
"for sure" advertise in a BSD magazine and that's kind of another big
problem.  Most magazines make the bulk of their operating revenue on
selling adverts, not on subscription fees and, unlike the Linux world,
the BSD world isn't exactly exploding with hundreds of companies all
trying to cash in on the gold rush.

- Jordan