Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:57:37 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-ROM not found on bootup

At 10:45 AM 8/30/00 +0700, I wrote:
<snip>
>What should I try next? Should I remove the ata driver and use the wdc
>controller instead? LINT doesn't really say anything about which
>controller to use, but GENERIC uses the ata driver only and LINT says
>the two are incompatible. Should I resign myself to going back to
>3.5-STABLE? Since I haven't seen many messages about this it must not
>be a problem for most people, so I can't really claim 4.1-STABLE is
>broken, but it isn't working for me! Am I asking on the right list?
>Should this go to the freebsd-stable list instead?

OK, further progress. I compiled the kernel yet again with the ata
device commented out and the lines for the wdc device inserted. Result,
everything is working, except the device name for the CD-ROM is wcd0c
again -- it changed to acd0c under 3.5-STABLE.

So my immediate problem is solved, but questions are still left
unanswered. Where can I find out more about the ata device and why it
is supposed to be better? Why doesn't the ata driver detect slave
devices? Or is there some way to force it to do so? Currently GENERIC
and LINT do not suggest that this might be a problem -- could some sort
of suggestion, to the effect of, "If your kernel doesn't detect devices
on bootup you might want to try this" be added to them? Also, I have a
nagging feeling that when we were setting the system up I thought the
guy in charge had the wrong jumper configuration on the CD-ROM (it was
over a year ago, he's gone, and my memory is vague), but it worked so I
forgot about it. Does it seem possible that the jumper configuration
needs to be different to use with the ata device? Experimentation isn't
convenient but a certain amount can be done on Sundays.

Apparently this has not been a problem for most people upgrading to
4.x-STABLE, so how does my hardware configuration differ? Well, I may
never know.
--
Roger