Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 22:22:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        imp@village.org, dfr@nlsystems.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, mjacob@feral.com
Subject:   Re: Alpha Install

John Birrell, On 29-Aug-98 you wrote:
>  Simon Shapiro wrote:
> > Ah.  Now can some good soul actually fix the Makefile?  Or am I
> > destined to
> > hack this thing to death?  I do not mind, just tell me who wants the
> > diffs.
> > I am building all this on a clean NetBSD, form the snapshots knwon to
> > install on this machine.
>
>  Do you have a spare disk that you can dedicate to FreeBSD, keeping
>  the NetBSD one around just in case? If so, it will be a lot easier to
>  use the NetBSD tools to disklabel, newfs, mount and untar the tarball
>  in Doug's home directory on freefall, then just boot the FreeBSD
>  kernel and go from there. With FreeBSD tools, the FreeBSD kernel and
>  world builds normally.

I can easily add 4-20GB to the machine.  Once it is running FreeBSD, I will
port the DPT driver and have even more space.

The purpose of this excercise is to have a platform for writing the 64bit
drivers for the new FCAL controllers.  They are also all i2o but we will
not start that argument, right? :-)

Thanx,  I am still puzzled by the make failure, but if having FreeBSD tools
will solve it, then I do not have a problem.

Simon