Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:01:51 -0700
From:      Greg <pttjohnson@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Greg Johnson <pttjohnson@earthlink.net>
Subject:   questions on pcmcia modem

--------------CA0E4D2DDDE6EFD6D397B147

Hello,

 I have a couple of questions getting a PCMCIA modem card to work
under FreeBSD.

  The card is an EigerCom 28.8 kbps V.34 Fax/Modem card (FM288LK, MD288), and
works fine under Windoze 95.

  I am currently running FreeBSD 2.2.6.

  Here are my questions:

  0) will this work at all?

  1) what kernel configuration options are necessary?  Ones that appear to be
     relevant are:
     device ze0 ...
     device zp0 ...
     controller card0
     device pcic0
     device pcic1

  2) what /dev devices are necessary?  I.e., what MAKEDEV's do I need to do?

  3) under, say, kermit or user ppp, what device do I specify as my LINE?

  4) what other questions should I have asked? ;-)

  5) what are the answers to those questions?  ;-) ;-)

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Greg Johnson