Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 09:27:07 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My first SMP kernel...

As Steve Passe wrote:

> > lying around :).  I've also verified before that both CPUs have the
> > `SSS' signature.
>
> SSS? I don't see that in the list.

The numbers on the bottom lid end up in SSS.

>  what specifically are the exact
> S-spec #s of each?

I have to look, they are at work (but i'm at home still).

> one possibility for testing would be to get Peter to place a known working
> kernel on freefall, then grab it & try, since your hardware is so similar.

Well, my question was rather whether i should basically mistrust that
particular source tree (and re-roll that CD-ROM for the GUUG meeting
again), or whether it's just a personal problem with my setup.  In the
latter case, it's not really important, i've only dug up that old
Neptune board for a simple test.  (It's our scratch machine at work,
but there's usually only a single CPU in it, i have to ``borrow''
another CPU from another machine for testing.)

What surprised me was that this SMP kernel crashed all over the place
even on the board equipped with a single CPU only, while the
kernel.GENERIC worked well with the very same hardware.

I probably (unfortunately) won't find the time to track this into
every detail right now.  But maybe i'm re-rolling the bits for that
CD-ROM anyway, so i will at least stuff the comment about the sysctl
into my README.SMP there.

--
cheers, J"org